FULL-TIME POSITION: POSTED ON September 23, 2021
CSG Safety Manager
Reporting directly to the Vice President of Safety and Quality Assurance and to the Vice President of the Customer Service Group (CSG), the Safety Manager coordinates Safety and Health matters on several commercial construction projects, with a focus on self-perform, to ensure compliance with Federal, State, and local laws and regulations, as well as The Albert M. Higley Co.’s corporate policies. Implement and manage policies regarding safety, health, accident prevention, first aid, and fire protection programs for commercial construction projects. This in-office position is based out of our Cleveland, OH location.
THE PREFERRED CANDIDATE:
It is unlikely that any single individual will possess all the credentials and skills described below, which represent the company’s vision for this position. We encourage you to apply if you possess some of these credentials or skills and the desire to develop your career in these directions should you join our firm.
- Has a passion for helping people return home safely every day
- Maintains the values, ethics, and integrity to which the company holds true
- Holds a four-year college degree in Safety Management or equivalent (may be substituted with substantial work experience in the commercial construction industry)
- Has at least 3 years of experience in the construction industry with emphasis in carpentry
- Has OSHA 30 certification or a commitment to securing within sixty (60) days of hire
- Possesses a thorough understanding of federal, state, and local construction safety regulations
- Able to recognize hazardous situations and behaviors and implement corrective measures
- Possesses excellent interpersonal communication and conflict resolution skills
- Has strong computer skills with detailed knowledge of Microsoft Office with proficiency in Excel
- Has previous work experience in the building trades, specifically carpentry and/or demolition
- Has detailed knowledge of general contract and subcontract documents, including blue-prints
- Possesses strong team leadership capabilities
- Can demonstrate strong problem-solving ability
- Has effective presentation skills
- Possesses efficient time management skills
- Has the ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously
- Has the capability of maintaining professionalism under duress
- Able to create, modify and present procedures, reports, spreadsheets, charts, and policies
- Possesses the skills to analyze and recommend improvements on existing processes
- Has a reliable vehicle which can commute over a 5-state area with no concerns
- Has a driving record with no serious infractions
- Holds current vehicle insurance and the commitment to maintain this throughout employment
- Can pass an 11-panel drug test when tested regularly and randomly as a condition of employment
PERFORMANCE CRITERIA FOR THIS POSITION:
- Identifying and mitigating unsafe working conditions and unsafe employee activities through safety management and supervisory personnel for corrective action
- Assisting with the supervision and administration of safety, health, and first aid activities
- Supervising self-perform safety and health compliance on the job site
- Assisting with the creation and implementation of job-site specific safety programs and employee safety orientation training
- Conducting safety audits, and environmental sampling tests, with a focus on self-perform areas of work
- Documenting incidents, safety violations, and unsafe conditions
- Completing accident/incident investigations or assisting field leaders in their investigations
- Generating and distributing the weekly safety toolbox talks
- Embracing and upholding the company’s values of integrity, respect, people, commitment, excellence, and ethics
- Hosting pre-work meetings with self-perform tradesmen, and foremen prior to high-risk activities
- Training foremen & select journeymen quarterly on best practices and lessons learned
- Assisting the VP of Safety and the VP of CSG with tracking safety training activities, evaluating safety supplies and equipment for the job site, and performing additional assignments as directed
- Assisting self-perform Project Managers with SDS review and tracking electronically
- Developing and enforcing Site Specific Safety Plans (3SPs) developed for all areas of self-perform work
- Growing professionally by continuing education
- Leading AMHigley Union Employees to grow the safety culture in the self-perform division through knowledge of regulations and code as well as sharing best practices and lessons learned
SMART OBJECTIVES FOR THE SAFETY MANAGER:
- Toolbox Training - Develop and distribute toolbox trainings to AM Higley self--perform field personnel on a monthly basis (completed no less than 30 days in advance).
- Quarterly Foreman Meetings – Develop material to train Self-Perform Foreman on construction safety on a quarterly basis with topics as agreed upon from the Safety Team.
- Corporate Safety Training – Develop and host safety training within allocated time frame for field leadership based on company’s training needs.
- Safety Audits – Conduct weekly safety audits and pre-work meetings that are based on project’s risk and uphold AM Higley policies.
- Safety Enforcement – Enforce safety protocols when appropriate by writing citations for workers that violate company or OSHA policies.
- Site-Specific Safety Plan Review – Creating and Enforcing 3SP’s in detail to ensure compliance with Higley requirements.
- Continuous Education – Maintain currency in OSHA, Competent Person, and 1st Aid/CPR training requirements.
- Risk Assessment – Update the Risk Assessment log with safety audits and other communications with project teams by the end of the workday every Thursday.
Submit your résumé to be considered for this position.