Full Time Position: Posted March 3, 2019
The Albert M. Higley Co. is looking for an experienced Preconstruction Estimator with a passion for construction to join our growing team in Detroit. If you understand commercial construction systems and have experience working as an Estimator for a commercial general contractor or a commercial construction manager and would like to advance your career in Preconstruction, we would like to talk to you.
The Preconstruction Estimator will report directly to the Regional Manager of Michigan and work closely with the preconstruction team, taking the lead in producing estimates and forecasting costs for all general trades in a variety of construction applications.
Construction Markets include Corporate, Healthcare, Education, Non-Profit, Assisted Living, Multi-family, Science and Research Facilities, Industrial and Manufacturing.
It is unlikely that any single individual will possess all the credentials and skills we describe below, which represent the company’s vision for this position. We encourage you to apply if you possess some of these credentials or skills and the desire to develop your career in these directions should you join our firm.
- Review and analyze plans and specifications
- A thorough understanding of how the following systems are designed and constructed:
- Civil and sitework improvements
- Foundations – including deep foundation systems
- Structural Systems – Steel, Concrete and Masonry
- Exterior Enclosure Systems – Masonry, Metal Panels, Curtainwall/Storefront, etc.
- Roofing Systems
- Interior Construction – non-load bearing partitions, demountable partitions, doors/frames/hardware, millwork, etc.
- Interior Finishes – all types of flooring, painting, ceiling systems, etc.
- Division 10 specialties
- A solid understanding of MEP system
- Perform quantity takeoff and pricing of all system components, inclusive of labor, material and subcontractor overhead and profit.
- Use On-Screen Takeoff and Office Suite products to prepare estimates.
- Develop and maintain relationships with vendors and subcontractors to validate and confirm costs and unit costs.
- Assist the design team with value added suggestions and pricing exercises.
- Support the Project Managers with detailed scopes of work for bidding and post bid scope reviews with subcontractors.
- Review subcontractor bids and submittals for conformance with the specifications.
- Communicate estimate and project details to the clients, architects, engineers and project stakeholders.
- Working and cooperating within a team environment is required.
- A Self-starter with good time management skills is essential in this position.
- Special consideration will be given to the candidate that can produce a complete Conceptual Estimate from limited information.
Passion for the core values, ethics and integrity of The Albert M. Higley Company.
Any combination of education and experience that has helped you qualify for this position is acceptable. If you feel you have most of the skills and qualities for this position, we would like to talk to you.
No one can be a subject matter expert in all aspects of construction. We are looking for a candidate who has a passion for construction and can demonstrate they understand the sequence and techniques used in the construction industry.
A college degree along with the appropriate experience is desirable, but an estimator with field installation experience and a working knowledge of construction systems will have just as good if not greater chance to succeed.
What do we mean by “working knowledge”? The Albert M. Higley Company begins 80% of our Preconstruction Services at the Schematic Level of design. The successful candidate should be able to quantify all the designed components of the systems but also reasonably “fill in” the gaps and include costs for the undersigned components of the systems.
You will be helping owners validate and manage their budget thru the design process with the objective of determining a responsible subcontractor bid day cost.
The Albert M. Higley Company understands the importance of a positive work/life balance. Benefits include health insurance, paid vacation and sick leave, 9 paid holidays and a 401k investment plan with company matching funds. Compensation is commensurate with experience.